‘Made in Swindon’ Art Trail
5 June – 3 July 2016
Hi everyone! Swindon New Town is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year. And it is time for us to celebrate our local art scene too. We are organising an arts trail to show you the best of art being produced in Swindon. Why not come and spend a day/weekend here to discover something different and exciting?
There will be exhibitions in a number of venues across town, including STEAM Great Western Railway Museum, The Glue Pot and Beehive pubs, Swindon Dance and Swindon Central Library. Free entry, everyone welcome!
Did you know?
- There are no fewer than 5 museums in Swindon:
- STEAM Museum of the Great Western Railway
- Swindon Museum & Art Gallery
- The Richard Jefferies Museum
- The Museum of Computing
- Lydiard Park House and Gardens
- There is a long tradition of mural painting in Swindon, and today Ken White and The Visual Drop group continue to work in the local area.
- Many artists, myself included, paint landscapes and local Swindon scenes: Juliet Wood has created a series of large canvases of people in Macdonald’s. And Tim Carroll will be finishing a series of 100 views of Swindon.
- The Swindon collection of paintings is the most important collection of British painting outside of London.